Karyopharm Therapeutics is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company, based in Newton, MA, USA, focused on the discovery, development and commercialization of novel, first-in-class agents targeting nuclear transport for the treatment of cancer and other major diseases. Karyopharm is the industry leader in oral Selective Inhibitor of Nuclear Export (SINE) technology, developed to address a central mechanism of oncogenesis via the inhibition of exportins specifically XPO1. Selinexor, Karyopharm’s lead candidate, has been administered to patients with hematologic malignancies or solid tumors in clinical trials worldwide. Karyopharm is currently preparing for its first potential U.S. commercial launch in 2019.
Karyopharm is seeking an Assistant General Counsel (“Counsel”) to join the Company with responsibility for handling a wide range of regulatory and general legal healthcare matters and also leading a team of approximately 10 contracts professionals in drafting, negotiating, and managing the Company’s contracts and overseeing the contracting process from initiation to execution. The Counsel will report to Karyopharm’s Executive Vice President, Chief Business Officer & General Counsel, Christopher Primiano. Chris joined the Company in 2014 and is responsible for leading Karyopharm’s operations, business development, and legal departments.
The Counsel will lead the team responsible for negotiating, drafting, and reviewing contracts, including confidentiality, pre-clinical research, investigatory-initiated clinical trial, master service, consulting, vendor, supply, and other general business agreements. The Counsel will regularly interact with senior management on matters relating to contracts and serve as the single liaison between the contracts group and senior management.
In addition, the Counsel will have a wide range of corporate legal responsibilities, serving as the lead counsel for regulatory, general healthcare law, and privacy matters, particularly in the research, development, and clinical trial context. In addition, the Counsel will have the opportunity to expand responsibility into transactional and IP-related activities, including complex collaboration and licensing agreements and alliance management oversight.
Specific responsibilities of the Counsel will include:
J.D. from a national law school and admission to any state bar in the United States.
• At least 10 years of extensive experience drafting and negotiating contracts and a demonstrated in-depth understanding of the contract process and the relevant legal framework.
• Experience with clinical trial site contracts.
• Experience handling regulatory and general healthcare law matters, particularly in the research, development, and clinical trial context.
• Prior experience in the legal department of a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company.
• Demonstrated leadership experience managing a team in a corporate environment or law firm.
• Excellent project management skills, with demonstrated ability to oversee complex projects and lead to successful completion in an organized, efficient, and effective manner.
Interpersonal Competencies & Success Factors
• Outstanding presence and maturity, with strong interpersonal and leadership skills, and the ability to build strong relationships and communicate effectively with team members, senior business leaders, and other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization.
• Must thrive in a fast-paced, innovative environment with the ability to handle multiple, conflicting priorities while managing a substantial workload.
• Masterful at executing both strategically and tactically.
Highly self-motivated, with the ability to quickly gain trust and credibility from team members.
• Strong team player that is customer and solution-oriented, with the ability to understand and differentiate approach to complex contractual and legal matters.
• Must be well-organized and possess strong planning skills, with extremely high attention to detail and the ability to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop important relationships with key stakeholders and work with all levels of management and employees, as well as with external partners and vendors.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues in a simple way and influence for greater outcomes.
• Unquestioned integrity, credibility, and judgment.